Paleo Zucchini Fritters Recipe
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Serves: Serves 4
- 2 medium zucchini, shredded (about 5 cups)
- 2 tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- coconut oil or ghee for cooking
- Shred the zucchini using a box grater or a food processor fitted with a shredding blade. Put the shredded zucchini in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and toss well. Walk away for 10 minutes.
- Now it’s time to squeeze all the moisture out of the zucchini because nobody likes soggy fritters. Note: If you’re really salt sensitive, you may want to rinse the zucchini with water, then squeeze it out. Scoop up a generous handful of the zucchini and squeeze the living daylights out of them into a sink or bowl. You want them dry. Place in a different bowl.
- Add the coconut flour, egg and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Melt a large spoonful of ghee or coconut oil in the pan. Pack a ¼ cup measuring cup with the zucchini mixture, pressing it down inside the cup. Turn the cup out onto the pan and flatten the zucchini until you get a patty. You can also use a disher or just eyeball it. I fit about 4 or 5 in a large skillet at one time.
- Cook each side for 3 to 5 minutes or until nicely browned. Repeat until you‘ve used up all the zucchini mixture. Be sure to add more ghee or coconut oil to the pan each time you start a new batch.
- Cool on a cooling rack so they don’t get soggy.
Add garlic powder or onion powder to the mix.
Sprinkle with freshly chopped chives or parsley.
Serve with a homemade dipping sauce like Lemony Chive Paleo Mayo.